Business insurance for real estate professionals and commercial property management services

As a real estate professional, your job is to help people with the roofs over their heads. That being said, you need to keep yourself protected as you conduct business. That’s why Intact Insurance developed commercial insurance solutions tailored specifically for the real estate industry.   As a real estate or commercial property professional, here are some of the coverages you should consider:

Professional liability insurance for the real estate industry

You stand by the professional advice you provide clients. However, anybody can make mistakes. With professional liability insurance, you can rest assured that your real estate is protected in the event that your professional services or advice results in a financial loss for a client. For example, if you work as a real estate appraiser, and the valuation of a client’s property was undervalued, you can rest assured that your business is not in jeopardy. This coverage is often referred to as errors and omissions, or E&O insurance.

Learn more

Commercial property insurance

Commercial property insurance protects the area where you work or conduct business against losses or damages such as fire, theft, vandalism or other covered incidents. This coverage will also cover the contents of your workspace, such as office equipment, furniture, electronics and exterior fixtures such as signs or landscape features.

Learn more

Equipment breakdown insurance for real estate and property management businesses

Don’t let an equipment breakdown grind your operations to a halt. Equipment breakdown insurance covers losses resulting from the sudden and accidental breakdown of equipment that is specifically excluded from a commercial property insurance policy. This includes mechanical equipment (a building’s elevator motor system), electrical equipment (a building’s electrical power distribution system), pressure vessels and supporting equipment (hot water boiler/heating systems), and any other equipment you use daily to conduct business.

Learn more

Commercial general liability insurance

You do your best to offer a quality service. But accidents happen. That doesn't mean they need to spell disaster for your professional career. Commercial general liability insurance can protect you, your employees, and your company against legal liability for claims including bodily injury, and property damage that arise from business activities and operations. If ever a client or tenant decides to file a lawsuit against you, your livelihood could be protected from expensive legal costs.

Learn more

Privacy breach coverage

Your clients trust you with their personal information. That trust makes you a prime target for identity thieves. From personal addresses to credit card numbers to sensitive information found in mortgage applications, this data can be priceless to fraudsters while causing headaches for your clients and your business.

That’s why Intact Insurance offers privacy breach insurance coverage that protects your business. In the event of a privacy breach where client information or sensitive data is compromised, we can help you by covering legal fees, costs you incur while notifying your clients and potential losses in revenue stemming from the covered data breach.

Learn more

Commercial vehicle insurance

As a real estate professional, you spend time on the road, traveling with tools, and going from property to property. Protect your company vehicle with commercial vehicle coverage that provides you with standard and optional coverages to get you back on the road faster. No matter if use a one car or have an entire fleet of vehicles for your employees, Intact Insurance has the commercial vehicle insurance you need to get the job done

Learn more

What is the difference between commercial property insurance and a homeowner’s insurance policy?

There are several differences between commercial property insurance and a homeowner’s policy.

Unlike a residential home insurance policy, where there is usually a single individual or couple who own the property, there could possibly be numerous parties listed on a commercial property insurance policy depending on how ownership is set up. In many cases, an incorporated company or LLC may be listed as a proprietor on the policy.

Because a business requires additional coverages to account for operations and liability, commercial property insurance will have additional coverages including several liability coverages. As with many forms of business insurance, you can tailor the types and amounts of coverages you need within your commercial property insurance policy based on your business needs and specific risks.

Finally, because running a business can involve owning several real estate assets for different functions, you may require different types of policies with different types of coverages based on what business activities take place there. A commercial office space will require different coverages than an apartment building. 

Talk a broker to discuss what kind of coverages your business may need.

What kind of property management professionals should be thinking about business insurance?

The real estate industry is extensive that numerous professionals work within. If you work any one of these professions, you should consider investing in the right coverage:

  • Real estate agent
  • Real estate broker
  • Home inspector
  • Real estate appraiser
  • Real estate auctioneer

Please note that this list is not exhaustive. Talk to a broker today to see what coverages your real estate or property services business needs.

Find a broker 1400x774

Find a broker near you

With a network of more than 6,000 broker offices across Canada, we’ll help you find a trusted advisor who understands your needs, so you’ll always get the right advice for your business.