Intact Insurance is committed to providing customers with exceptional service. It is important to us that our customers let us know how we are doing. If you are not satisfied with the service you have received, we encourage you to give us your feedback through the following Complaint Handling Protocol. We want to ensure that your concerns are handled fairly and efficiently.
For Quebec Customers please click here.
Step 1 – Resolve the Problem at the Source
When you have a concern, we recommend that you start at the source. Speak to the representative of the department involved, for example: your broker, adjuster, underwriter, sales representative, etc. If you are not satisfied, ask to speak to a manager or a supervisor. It is usually quicker and easier to check the facts and find a solution at the point where the problem occurred.
Gather the Facts
To speed up the process, we recommend that you have all relevant information handy prior to contacting Intact Insurance. The information needed includes:
- details of your complaint including your policy and/or claim numbers;
- any supporting documents and important dates; and
- the names of any employees you have dealt with.
Step 2 – Contact the Customer Experience Team
If your complaint is not resolved after completing Step 1, you can escalate the matter to our Customer Experience Team.
What you can expect
- A Customer Experience Agent will speak with you to obtain relevant information and assign your file to a Customer Relations Representative for review.
- A Customer Relations Representative will contact you about your concerns.
- The Customer Relations Representative can give you an estimated time frame required to review your file.
- The Customer Relations Representative will conduct a thorough review of your file and the concerns you have raised and then provide you with a clear response explaining Intact Insurance’s position on the matter. Any further action that can be taken with respect to your concern will be discussed with you and/or forwarded to you in writing.
- If you remain dissatisfied with the response, the Customer Relations Representative can provide you with information on how you can escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman’s Office.
You may reach the Customer Experience Team in the following ways:
Intact Insurance Company
2255 Sheppard Ave East, Suite 400,
Step 3 – Escalation to the Ombudsman’s Office
If you remain dissatisfied after speaking to the Customer Experience Team, you may escalate your concerns to the Ombudsman’s Office for an independent review. Please note that the Ombudsman’s Office will not review a complaint that has not gone through Steps 1 and 2 above first.
Any complaint escalated to the Ombudsman’s Office should be made in writing. Please include the following information when escalating your complaint:
- summary of your complaint;
- list of all unresolved concerns;
- the reason you feel your concerns have not been resolved at Steps 1 and 2 above;
- any documentation/information that you would like to have reviewed; and
- what you would like to see happen (your desired outcome).
The role of the Ombudsman’s Office is to conduct an independent and impartial investigation of your complaint. The objective of this investigation is to examine whether your file was handled fairly and appropriately.
What you can expect
- The Ombudsman’s Office will work with you and Intact Insurance to try and resolve your complaint in a fair and impartial manner.
- For complaints that are not easily resolved or require a full investigation, the Ombudsman’s Office will provide you with a formal written response. A written response is usually completed within 30 business days; however, depending on the complexity of the issues and the case load, more time may be necessary to complete a thorough review of your file. You will be updated on the progress of your complaint if more time is required.
When the Ombudsman’s Office has reviewed your complaint and provided you with a response, your file will be considered closed. Your file will not be reopened unless you can present new and relevant documentation or information for further consideration.
You may reach the Ombudsman’s Office at:
Intact Insurance Company
700 University Avenue, Suite 1500A
Toronto, Ontario M5G 0A1
Step 4 – External Resources
If you remain dissatisfied following the Ombudsman’s Office’s investigation, you can contact the General Insurance OmbudService. The General Insurance OmbudService is an independent dispute resolution service available to any home, auto or business insurance policyholder in Canada. You can access their services by phone, mail, e-mail, fax or through their website. There is no charge for their service.
The Ombudsman’s Office will liaise with the General Insurance OmbudService and all applicable provincial and federal regulators in order to resolve the complaint as effectively as possible. Please note that the General Insurance OmbudService does not provide monetary compensation, and its mediation and arbitration services are non-binding.
You may reach the General Insurance OmbudService at:
General Insurance OmbudService
4711 Yonge Street, 10th Floor
If you have a complaint specifically about Intact Insurance’s Complaint Handling Protocol and processes, you may contact the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada. Please note that the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada does not provide redress or compensation and does not become involved in individual disputes.
You may reach the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada at:
Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
6th Floor, Enterprise Building
427 Laurier Ave. West
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B9
For Quebec Customers
We value our customers and take their complaints very seriously. If you have any concerns related to the products or services you received, please contact us at:
Intact Insurance Company
2450 Girouard St. West
Saint-Hyacinthe, QC J2S 3B3
Your complaint will be directed to the appropriate business contact for handling. Whenever possible, we try to resolve the issue at the business level. If your concern is not resolved to your satisfaction, the matter can be escalated to the appropriate individual(s) in charge of complaint handling within our organization. If you remain dissatisfied with the resolution proposed and/or with the handling of your complaint itself, you may ask that a copy of the complaint file be forwarded to the Autorité des marchés financiers.
The Autorité des marchés financiers examines all complaints received and may recommend mediation if deemed advisable and the parties agree. Please note that the Autorité des marchés financiers does not provide monetary compensation with respect to consumer claims (other than cases covered under its specific programs).