Skip to main content

Our systems will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on the evening of Saturday, February 18 to Sunday, February 19.  Services will be established on February 19. If you need to report a claim during the scheduled maintenance, we can be reached at 1-866-464-2424. To get a quote, please call. If you’d like to access our online tools, including the Client Centre and mobile app, please check back at a later time.

Regional alert is disabled

Rented dwelling insurance

Keep your investment property safe and well protected. 

Landlords: rent out your properties confidently. From condos to apartments and full houses, we’ve got you covered.
  • Coverage for your unique insurance needs  
    Each landlord has different insurance needs for their rental properties. We offer two policy types to fit your needs and provide the best protection for your properties. 
  • Vandalism and fair rental value coverage
    Our rented dwelling insurance policy provides one of the most extensive landlord insurance coverages in the marketplace by including vandalism by a tenant and fair rental value for your rental property.
  • Outstanding claims experience 
    If something happens to your rental property, you'll have access to second-to-none claims support with the biggest claims team in Canada, 24/7.


A landlord should constantly be ready for the unanticipated. If your rental property is affected by wind, fire, or another insured loss, landlord insurance will assist you in repairing or rebuilding. If your renters can't stay in your rental property while it is being repaired, it will also assist you with rental income when you need it the most. We offer two policy types for your investment property: 

  • Buildings and Content insurance – Intermediate protection: provides coverage for designated risks, including fire and vandalism protection.
  • Building and Content insurance – Superior protection: provides all-risk coverage for the building, and coverage for designated risks for the contents, including protection in case of fire and vandalism. 
  • Our rented dwelling insurance covers damages to the building itself and attached structures.

  • Optional

    Our landlord insurance can cover damages to personal property as a landlord in the building such as appliances like laundry machines, carpets, furniture, etc.

  • Optional

    If chosen as an option, rented dwelling insurance can cover buildings and structures detached from the rental property such as:

    • Shed
    • Garage
    • Storage space
    • Etc.
  • Landlord insurance provides basic cover for the loss of rental income if the tenant can't stay in the rented dwelling due to damage and repairs following a loss covered by the contract. You can increase this protection according to your needs to adequately protect your rental income. 

  • Our rented dwelling insurance will protect you if you are legally liable for unintentional property damage or physical injury on your rental property. 

Programs and add-ons

Get the most complete landlord insurance coverage and enjoy the many benefits of our home insurance programs. To learn more about endorsements, ask your representative or get a quote.1

Additional water damage protections 

Water is the main threat to your home. Water damage endorsements provide coverage if water enters your home: sewer back-up, water and sewer lines, overland water and ground water. 

Good Record Protection 

Enjoy forgiveness for one claim every 5 years, with no premium increase as a result of this claim upon renewal.

The perfect match between your rented dwelling insurance and auto insurance

woman in nature with car

Bundle and save!

Combine your home and auto insurance with Synchro insurance and take advantage of exclusive benefits. Get the best value for your money and save up to 15%3 on your home and auto insurance policies.

More ways to save

man with a van
  • Water safety devices
    If you have installed water flow devices with automatic shut off valves or if there is a water sensor system with five or more sensors and an automatic shut off valve in in your home, you could get a discount.3
  • FADOQ FreeSpace®
    Only for those at least 50 years young! Member of FADOQ: enjoy increased protections and privileges, as well as 5% off your home insurance for your principal dwelling and a 5% discount on your car insurance premium.


Rented dwelling insurance, also known as rental property insurance or landlord insurance, protects the building itself, a basic amount of rental income that you can increase to fit your needs and liability insurance relative to the insured property. If you include furniture in the rental of your property, you can add protection to cover the items included in the rental. To learn more about landlord insurance, don’t hesitate to reach out to your insurance representative. 

A landlord should have the insurance for the building and the belongings he or she owns within the building as well as liability insurance. In other words, the owner of rented dwelling should have insurance that protects the space in which tenants reside and his personal property and liability on the grounds of the insured property. On the other hand, renters should have tenant insurance to protect their personal belongings and personal liability with their own insurance policy, which we also offer at Intact Insurance.

Yes. You do not need to have a homeowners insurance policy with us to cover your rental dwelling building. However, you could enjoy benefits and discounts if you bundle them together. Ask your insurance representative for more information.

Your rented dwelling insurance coverage may be impacted if your rental property is vacant, even for a little time. If your rental property is left unoccupied, reach out to your insurance representative to make sure you have the right coverage. Depending on the duration of the vacancy, you may need to adapt your coverage.

Landlords can insure an entire house, condos, cottages or multiplex (6 units or less) under a rented dwelling insurance policy if the investment property is used for residential purposes only. If you would like to insure a commercial property, commercial real estate insurance will provide the right coverage.

Didn’t find what you were looking for?

Access your insurance anytime, anywhere

Over 600 000 clients use the app.

Don’t wait and download it now!

download on app store download on app store

58K Ratings

get it on google play get it on google play

21K Ratings

Scan the QR code with your mobile phone to download the app

woman with laptop

Talk to a representative

With so many rented dwelling insurance options, it can be confusing and time-consuming to compare them all yourself. That’s where insurance representatives can help. Talk to a representative today about the rented dwelling insurance that you need for your income property.

Get a landlord insurance quote

Find the best tenant insurance coverage for your needs by contacting one of the 2,000 brokerages that we work with, by calling us, or by getting a tenant insurance quote online. Getting a tenant insurance quote is the first step to protecting what matters most to you.