Worry-free winter driving
Here are four helpful hints for stress-free winter driving:
1 – Give your vehicle a maintenance check-up
Do you prepare your home for winter? Your vehicle deserves the same attention—some basic maintenance is a good idea before the temperatures start to drop. Here are a few things to check:
- Windshield wipers, and the heating and defrosting system
- Windshield washer fluid and antifreeze
- Motor oil and transmission fluid
- Tires, including the spare
- Electrical and ignition systems, lights, turn signal indicators, etc.
2 – Adjust your driving and take certain precautions
In the winter, it’s important to adjust your driving to weather and road conditions, especially by reducing your speed. Taking certain precautions before getting behind the wheel is also smart.
- Make sure your vehicle is well equipped. From December 15 to March 15, all vehicles registered in Québec must be equipped with winter tires—otherwise, the fine can be as high as $3001 plus costs.
- Remove any snow from your vehicle before heading out, and clean off your windshield, windows and lights.
- Keep a greater distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, so you have more time to react—just in case.
- Always keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Tired? Terrible weather conditions? Deciding not to hit the road is sometimes the smartest option!
3 – Enjoy roadside assistance from Intact Insurance
A flat tire, a dead battery, keys locked inside the car—who hasn’t at least once had this type of mishap, the kind that rarely happens in front of a mechanic’s!
“What, me worry?” will be your new motto thanks to the roadside assistance program from Intact Insurance,2 which provides:
- Four service calls per year, including towing, jumpstarting batteries, unlocking car doors, changing tires, and delivering gas
- A 50-km towing radius
- Service available 24/7 across Canada and the U.S.
- Attractive à la carte rate of just $3 per month
4 – Talk to your broker
Even the most careful driver can experience bad luck, and that’s where good insurance coverage comes in. If you’d like to sign up for roadside assistance, check that your vehicle is adequately covered, or just learn more about your auto insurance, talk to your broker today. They’ll be happy to give you all the information you need and help you find the insurance that’s right for you.
2 Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions apply. Roadside assistance services are provided by an independent third party to customers whose policy includes Insurance for Roadside Assistance Costs, available for $35 per year. Speak to your insurance broker for conditions and details. © 2016 Intact Insurance Company. All rights reserved.
Working with a broker - A winning strategy
A certified insurance professional who’s attentive to your needs and committed to providing the best possible service—an insurance broker is all this and more!Read the article
Choosing the right fireplace
With winter fast approaching and more options than ever, picking the right fireplace can prove quite challenging. Here are a few pointers to help you make an informed choice.Read the article