Spring home maintenance tips
Now is a perfect time to take preventative steps to protect your home from water damage.
With climate change, more and more Canadian households experience flooding due to heavy rainfalls and the arrival of an early spring. Your home’s foundational structure, roof, and exterior windows are vulnerable areas where water can leak through. Here are a few maintenance tips to keep your home safe from water damage. Check out these simple ways to protect your home and prevent your money from going down the drain.
Protect Your Basement
- Remove accumulated snow away from your house, especially windows.
- Check your property for obstructions that could prevent melting snow from draining away from your house (i.e. rocks or bins).
- Move valuable items from your basement to higher floors.
- Install a sump pump and backwater valve. They’re invaluable in keeping your basement safe from unwanted water. Learn more preventative tips with these helpful videos.
- Ensure there is proper grading around your home and that water drains away from the house.
Prevent Roof Leaks
- Inspect and seal chimneys, vents and skylights.
- Have your roof inspected for cracks, breaks, and loose or missing shingles.
- Look for blockages, leaks and holes in eavestroughs, downspouts and extensions.
- Ensure screw heads and fasteners are properly covered.
Protect Your Windows
- Inspect exterior windows for unusual wear and tear.
- Repair or replace window seals or caulking that appears visibly damaged.
- Check weather stripping and seals on windowsills and thresholds.
Get The Coverage
Get the coverage on all things home and auto. Subscribe to our e-newsletter and get helpful tips and information every season. We also have up-to-date information on our business and insurance plans.Subscribe
When should you change your tires?
Did you know that changing your tires at the right time can save you money and gives you more mileage for each set? So make sure you switch them over to the appropriate season when the weather changes.
Technologies that make your car safer
Automobile safety is becoming more high tech every year. From space aged sensors to cameras, consumers now have a wide array of safety features to consider when purchasing a new car.
Refresh your decor-Interior design trends for 2016
Spring has sprung! Brighten up your decor with inspiration from the latest design trends. But before you get going, remember to let your insurer know.
The Coverage is a quarterly e-newsletter brought to you by Intact Insurance that gives helpful advice and articles on all things home and auto, as well as up-to-date information on our business and insurance plans.
Brokers Are Here To Help
If you have questions about your home or auto insurance, talk to a broker – they’re here to help. They’re also a great resource for tips and advice, and can point out any potential issues.