It’s pothole season... An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Regardless of the road you’re driving on, sooner or later, you may “fall” into a pothole since Quebec roads are full of them. It's important to be careful and vigilant because they represent a real danger.
Stack the odds in your favour
- Check your tire pressure. Driving with the recommended tire inflation will allow your vehicle to better absorb the impact.
- Drive at posted speed limits and leave enough space between your vehicle and the one in front of you, so you’ll have time to react if it hits a pothole.
- After a heavy rain, be especially wary of puddles on the road. They may conceal massive potholes large enough to cause severe damage to your car.
When you can’t avoid a pothole…
- Never hit your brakes before coming upon a pothole. This can actually cause more damage to your vehicle.
- Instead, try to slow down and ease off the brakes the moment before you hit the pothole to allow your car to absorb the blow.
- Hold the steering wheel firmly so you don’t lose control of your vehicle.
What should you do after impact?
- As soon as the situation is safe, take a few minutes to make a visual inspection of your vehicle and note any damage to the tires.
- When driving, pay special attention to any unusual noise or the way your car handles.
- You should investigate any reoccurring loss of tire pressure, vibration in the wheel or in the seat, if your steering wheel isn’t properly aligned, etc.
- In the presence of such indicators, it’s best to have your vehicle inspected by a mechanic who will be able to assess the extent of damage.
Are damages covered?
In case of damage caused by a pothole:
- You can file a claim if you have “Damage to insured vehicles—collision and upset” coverage.
- Provide as much detail as possible, including pictures of the pothole and damage to your vehicle.
Ask your broker
Should you have any questions regarding this topic or your coverage, contact your broker now. He is your best advisor.
Buying a new vehicle? You have more power than you think over your insurance costs!
Did you know that several factors can affect the cost of your auto insurance premium? Together, these factors can have an impact on your premium, so it’s worth knowing what they are.Read the article
Moving? Here are 5 tips to prepare for the big day!
Moving is like jogging—it’s tiring, but so satisfying once it’s done! To be well prepared and avoid problems, it’s best to plan ahead. Here’s some useful information.Read the article