The agreement contains the following sections:
- What is the Intact Insurance app?
- Interpretation and Jurisdiction
- Electronic or paper documents
- Functionality and Use
- Digital fingerprint recognition
- Other Terms
- Disclaimer of Warranty and Limitation of Liability
- Intellectual property
- Links to other sites
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to modify the Terms at any time by providing notice and obtaining your consent for such modifications where legally required to do so. Where such consent is not required, modifications are effective immediately and you agree to be bound by them through your continued use of the Application. We recommend you revisit these Terms periodically, which can be viewed at any time within the Application. By downloading the Application on your mobile device, you consent to the installation on your mobile device of the Application, and of any future upgrades or updates thereto (which may be installed automatically if you have selected this feature within your application purchasing profile), made available by Intact.
You further agree that the Application, or any updates or upgrades thereto, could or will perform the functions described below. You may withdraw your consent at any time by deleting the Application from your mobile device.
As long as you comply with these Terms, Intact grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access and use the Application for private, non-commercial purposes.
2. What is the Intact Insurance app?
The Intact Insurance app is an Application installed on your mobile device that could or will allow you, among other things, to:
- view your Intact car and home insurance policies and access your documents on-the-go;
- access a copy your Intact proof of car insurance directly on your mobile device;
- submit a car or home insurance claim; and
- view and manage your Intact profile, previous purchases and payments.
The information, content, documents and text provided by us through the Application (the “Content”) is believed to be accurate and reliable when posted on the Application, but we cannot guarantee that the Content available on the Application is accurate, complete or current at all times.
Certain Content in the Application is presented in summary form. You must always refer to the terms, exclusions and conditions of your official insurance documents, a copy of which you may access through your Client Centre on the intact.ca website, for a complete description of your selected coverage.
The Application and all Content is owned or licensed by Intact, contains proprietary information, including third party proprietary information, that is protected by copyright, trademark, and patent laws, and other intellectual property laws. Except as otherwise allowed under these Terms or by functionality within the Application or integrated within your mobile device’s operating system, the Application and the Content may not be copied, modified, altered, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, broadcasted or transmitted or distributed in whole or in part, to any computer, server, website, application, or any other medium of publication on the Internet or any other computer network, or for any commercial purpose, without prior written consent of Intact.
We reserve the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the Application and/or Content at any time, without notice.
Except as otherwise allowed under these Terms, you may not:
- sell, assign, sublicense, or otherwise transfer any right in or access to the Application or any content, software or services available therein;
- transfer your account to a third party;
- make any commercial use of any portion of the Application or any Content;
- modify, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, create derivative works or otherwise attempt to discover any source code of the Application;
- reproduce any portion of the Application, except as permitted in the Terms;
- use software or code to automatically scrape, extract, copy or monitor the Application or any Content, or any data about the Application or any Content;
- probe, scan or test for vulnerabilities in the Application or Content, any systems or networks connected to the Application, or any web-based services offered through the Application;
- attempt to gain unauthorized access to any portion of the Application or any Content, any related systems or networks connected to the Application, any stored information, or any web-based services offered through the Application;
- attempt to interfere with, or disrupt, the proper functioning of the Application or delivery of the Content, or any other person’s use of the Application or the Content; or
- violate these Terms or make any unlawful or prohibited use of the Application or the Content.
We may block, suspend or terminate your use of, or access to, the Application for failure to adhere to the Terms.
5. Interpretation and Jurisdiction
If any provision of the Terms, in whole or in part, is found to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed to be severable from the rest of the provisions and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions of the Terms.
Insurance products mentioned in this Application are sold in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island only. Only residents of these provinces who can validly be bound by these Terms under applicable laws can use this Application. It is your responsibility to determine if you can legally use the Application in compliance with all applicable laws.
We do not guarantee that the Application or any Content is free of viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or other destructive or disruptive code.
To access this Application and to complete any insurance transaction available through the Application, you will need your email address and password. We may provide you with access to information, documents or services related to your insurance policy or claims through the Application. When we do so, you are responsible for ensuring your login credentials for your account are kept confidential and for any activity under your account that occurs as a result of your failure to do so. You will immediately notify Intact if there is any unauthorized use of your login credentials or activity on your account.
Please note that this Application may allow you to store offline copies of your insurance documents on your mobile device, or to transfer these documents outside of the Application through functionalities offered by your mobile device's operating system.
By allowing your insurance documents to be stored or transferred in this manner, you accept the information they contain will no longer be protected by the Application's secured environment and could be governed by the privacy policies of your mobile device manufacturer or other third parties, which differ from ours.
7. Electronic or paper documents
The Application gives you the option to choose to electronically receive and access, through your Client Centre, most of your insurance documents, or to continue receiving a paper copy of these documents by mail. If you choose to electronically receive and access your insurance documents through your Client Centre, you understand that these electronic documents may be used as evidence and will have the same force of law as if you had received them by mail.
By choosing electronic documents, you agree that the email address you provided is your last known email address. You are responsible for notifying us, in a timely manner, of any email address change.
8. Functionality and Use
Use of the Application may affect your battery life. The Application is free and can be downloaded via Wi-Fi or cellular data. However, the Application itself will use your cellular data to transfer information to and from Intact. You are responsible for assuming all roaming fees, data fees, plan fees, overage fees and any other fees your mobile service provider may charge you as a result of your download and use of the Application.
Please note that while roaming, unless your data is turned off on your mobile device, data will continue to be transferred.
Federal and provincial laws may prohibit you from using your mobile device and the Application in any manner while driving. For your own safety, and the safety of everyone around you, Intact strongly encourages you to avoid using your mobile device or the Application while driving.
9. Digital fingerprint recognition
When you enable the digital fingerprint recognition function for the Application (Touch ID or Fingerprint, as the case may be), you can either access the Application with a single touch, or use your email and password to log in.
This function is a service offered by your mobile device’s manufacturer and Intact does not endorse or warrant its use. Intact does not record or store your digital fingerprint in any way and assumes no responsibility or liability with regards to your use or inability to use this function. If you choose to enable this function, any fingerprint recorded in your mobile device can be used to access the Application, your Intact account and your insurance documents. To help keep your account and personal information secured, Intact does not recommend that you activate this function if fingerprints not belonging to you are recorded on your mobile device. Intact assumes no responsibility or liability which may result from the Application being accessed with fingerprints not belonging to you.
We are committed to protecting your privacy, and do our utmost to ensure that the personal information of our customers is safeguarded properly.
Any personal information we collect from you or that you disclose to us through this Application is subject to our Privacy Promise. To understand how we will collect, use and disclose your personal information, please read our Privacy Promise, available at www.intact.ca.
If you have any questions about your privacy or would like more information, please contact our Privacy Office at:
12. Other Terms
We may allow you to engage in certain activities on the Application such as:
- quote or purchase insurance products or services;
- submit an insurance claim or report a motor vehicle accident; or
- access information, documents or services related to your insurance quote, policy, or claim.
When we do so, other terms may apply to these activities (“Other Terms”). If there is a conflict between these Terms and the Other Terms posted on a portion of the Application or other website, the Other Terms will govern and control with respect to these other activities.
Further, we use code provided by third parties and embedded within our Application’s code to integrate the following services into this Application:
Crashlytics is a mobile application analytics service provided by Google Inc. Crashlytics uses code embedded within Intact’s proprietary Application code to detect and report to Intact, on an anonymous basis, certain features or functionalities of the Application or of your mobile device that may, from time to time, cause the Application to crash or otherwise malfunction. Crashlytics can also detect and report to Intact from time to time, on an anonymous basis, ways in which mobile Application or device features are used by you.
We use the reports generated by Crashlytics to help us understand how users interact and use the features made available through our Application and how mobile device features impact the functionality of our Application, to make decisions about how to improve the Application, and to assess any error that may be found in the Application’s code.
If you do not agree with our use of third party embedded code, you should not activate the Application and should delete the Application from your mobile device.
13. Disclaimer of Warranty and Limitation of Liability
The Application is made available "as-is", "with all faults" and "as available" and it is used at your own risk. Intact makes no warranties or guarantees of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. Intact does not warrant that the Application and its operation will be uninterrupted or error or defect-free, that any errors or defects in the Application will be corrected, that data will not be lost or damaged, or that the Application or server(s) that make it available are free from viruses, disabling code or other contaminants.
Intact and its affiliates and suppliers shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, exemplary, punitive, or consequential losses or damages resulting from, arising out of, related to or in connection with, the use of or access to, or inability to access, the Application, Content, these Terms or any related services whether provided by Intact or its affiliates or suppliers.
You agree to defend and indemnify Intact from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, suits, damages, liabilities, losses, settlements, judgments, costs and expenses (including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs), brought or asserted against Intact resulting from (i) your access to, or use of, the Application; (ii) your breach of any laws or the Terms; (iii) your negligence or wilful misconduct; or (iv) your violation of any third party intellectual property rights. This section will survive the termination of these Terms.
14. Intellectual property
The Application is protected by the Copyright Act and other applicable intellectual property laws, and its Content cannot be altered, sold, reproduced, copied, published, distributed, uploaded, broadcast or retransmitted without infringing on our and the author's rights and his/her moral rights.
Certain names, words, titles, expressions, phrases, logos, icons, graphics or designs or other content in the Application are, as the case may be, trade-names or trade-marks of Intact Insurance Company and its affiliated companies. Certain names, words, titles, phrases, logos, icons, graphics or designs or other content in the pages of the Application can constitute trademarks or trade names, registered or not, property of third parties and may be used under licence.
15. Links to other sites
These links should not be construed as an endorsement, a guarantee or a recommendation of the products or services offered on those sites.
You access these sites at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for damages or prejudice of any nature resulting from the use or the content of other sites connected to the Application by hyperlink.
Use of the Application does not grant you any rights to the Application or the Content nor are any rights of use granted in any trademarks or logos included in the Application.
Intact and its third party licensors reserve the right to use any suggestions, recommendations or other feedback you provide without your consent or further obligations to you.
Please note that by accepting to receive the digital proof of auto insurance (the “DPAI”) in the Application, you consent to receive your proof of insurance, including future updates and modifications, digitally through this Application or your Client Center, when applicable.
You further acknowledge and undertake that you have (or will): (i) notify any other drivers who operate a vehicle listed on your DPAI about these Terms; and (ii) obtain their acceptance and agreement to be bound by the Terms; (iii) share the most recent version of the DPAI with all insureds listed on your insurance policy.
You acknowledge that by using the DPAI you assume all risks, including :
- possible damage to your mobile device, when handing your device over to a third party to review your DPAI;
- possible access to personal information if you do not turn off notifications or if your mobile device is accidentally unlocked with facial or fingerprint recognition.
- When your mobile device is not able to access the internet or data network.
- When your mobile device is turned off.
- When you have been locked out of your Application.
- When you have forgotten the password to your Application.
- When you have not properly locked your mobile device to access your DPAI.
- When you have limited or obstructed visibility of your DPAI , e.g. due to damage to your mobile device.
You also acknowledge that:
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your mobile device has access to a working internet or data network for the Application to download the most up to date version of your DPAI. For iOS users, the DPAI will automatically refresh every time you open the Application or access the widget. For Android users, the DPAI will automatically refresh daily.
- Only the front side of your DPAI will be accessible on the lock screen. The reverse side of your DPAI will be accessible once you have unlocked your mobile device and accessed your Application.
- The DPAI is not accepted by law enforcement or departments of motor vehicles in all provinces of Canada, nor by all states in the United States – and it is your duty to ensure you possess proof of insurance in the form and manner required by any jurisdiction in which you operate a vehicle listed on your DPAI.
- Federal and provincial laws may prohibit you from using your mobile device and the DPAI in any manner while driving. For your own safety, and the safety of everyone around you, Intact Insurance strongly encourages you to avoid using your mobile device or the DPAI while driving.
- When you share the DPAI electronically with others, including law enforcement, you are providing those parties with your personal information, including your email address.
- Please also be advised that, regardless of the format (DPAI or paper copy of your proof of insurance), the operator of your vehicle must always have a proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times.
Any other questions?
If you have any technical questions about downloading or activating the Application or its functionalities, please call us at 1 (844) 824-7983 or email email@example.com. For all other inquiries, please contact your broker.
ALL TERMS, LIMITS, CONDITIONS, EXCLUSIONS, DEFINITIONS AND PROVISIONS OF YOUR POLICY SHALL CONTINUE TO APPLY AND HAVE FULL FORCE AND EFFECT.
© 2018 Intact Insurance Company
- What is the my Drive program?
- Am I eligible?
- How to enrol?
- Will I receive a discount for using the Application?
- How will my discount be applied?
- How do I use the Application?
- When should I use the Application and can I use it while driving another vehicle?
- Can multiple drivers be enrolled?
- Will I be able to track my driving behaviour?
- What happens if the Application is not activated?
- What happens if the Application is deleted or does not collect and transfer Collected Data?
- What happens if my enrolment in the Program is terminated?
- Can I use or transfer the Application to another smartphone?
- Does the Application affect the battery life of my smartphone?
- Will I be charged by my mobile service provider for use of the Application?
- What about my privacy?
- What Personal Information is collected?
- How is my Personal Information used?
- How can I access/correct my tagged trips?
- How is my Personal Information disclosed?
- Where is my Personal Information stored?
- How long is my data stored?
- What if I am not the policyholder?
- Who do I contact if I have questions about my privacy?
- Disclaimer of warranty an limitation of liability
Federal and provincial laws may completely or partially prohibit you from using your smartphone, including the Application, while driving. For your own safety, and the safety of everyone else on the road, Intact Insurance strongly encourages you to avoid any prohibited use of your smartphone or the Application while driving.
If you do not accept these Terms in their entirety, you are not eligible to participate in the Program, or to receive, or continue to receive a discount through the Program. Do not activate or use the Application if you do not accept these Terms. You must contact your broker if you wish to cancel your participation in the Program.
1. What is the my Drive program?
my Drive is a program that gives you the opportunity to earn a discount on your automobile insurance policy by sharing information about your driving behaviour with Intact Insurance. To participate in the Program, you will have to install the Application, which will use your smartphone’s instrumentation (such as GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, etc.) to continuously collect information about your driving behaviour, and transfer this information to Intact Insurance. Along with determining your potential discount, the information collected and transferred will be used by Intact Insurance to design, operate, enhance, and administer the Program, as described in detail in the “How is my Personal Information used?” section below.
2. Am I eligible?
To participate in the Program, you must meet the following conditions:
- you must be the principal driver of an eligible private passenger vehicle listed on an eligible automobile insurance policy with Intact Insurance;
- your smartphone must be compatible with the most recent version of the Application and you must ensure that the Application is installed and updated when required;
- you must maintain a data plan with your mobile service provider, allowing the Application to transfer data to us and our service providers;
- you need to provide us with a mobile phone number and email address that must remain valid throughout your participation in the Program;
- your region must have cellular coverage available to sufficiently gather Collected Data (as defined in the “What Personal Information is collected?” section below) regarding your driving behaviour (you can contact your mobile phone provider for details); and
3. How to enrol?
Enrolling in the Program is easy, completely voluntary, and includes no additional cost to you (except for any data fees charged by your mobile service provider as a result of your use of the Application). Simply contact your broker, or for more information you can visit our website at www.intact.ca/my-drive. You will then receive a confirmation text message (SMS) with instructions to download and log into the Application. If there are multiple principal drivers on the same automobile insurance policy enrolled in the Program, text messages (SMS) related to the Program will be sent to the mobile phone number provided for each principal driver. Once you have logged in following the instructions provided, accepted the Terms and given the Application permission to access your location and other required data, your enrolment is completed. Once the Application detects your first trip, it will begin recording Collected Data regarding the driving trips and events, which will be sent to Intact Insurance.
4. Will I receive a discount for using the Application?
You will be entitled to benefit from an enrolment discount for approximately 180 days, at which time it may be replaced by a Program discount (the “my Drive”) based on the following driving events:
a. duration of trip;
b. hard braking;
c. rapid acceleration;
d. cornering and turns;
e. kilometers driven; and
f. distracted driving (e.g., Using your smartphone while driving).
The driving events may be contextualized in light of various factors, such as:
i. severity of the event;
ii. speed at which event was registered;
iii. time of day and day of the week you drive;
iv. road types (e.g., highway, urban or rural); and
v. left or right turns.
These driving events and their contextualization factors (collectively the “Driving Data”) will be continuously measured by processing Collected Data while you remain enrolled in the Program, through consecutive periods of a minimum of 180 days (each a “Collection Period”). The length of your Collection Periods might sometimes be adjusted to match your or the policyholder’s automobile insurance policy’s renewal date or the time we commence our renewal notification process.
During each Collection Period, you must be tagged as the driver by the Application for a minimum of 1,000 km to be eligible to receive your my Drive.
Please note that enrolment in the Program does not guarantee entitlement to any my Drive, which varies based on your Driving Data.
Driving Data displayed on the Application
To help you understand and visualize how you can improve your driving, the Application will translate your Driving Data into comprehensible selected high risk driving behaviours that will be displayed in the Application (“Application Events”), although more Driving Data than is displayed will be factored into your my Drive. These Application Events will include items such as:
a. hard braking;
b. rapid acceleration;
c. risky hours;
d. speed; and
e. distracted driving (e.g., using your smartphone while driving).
Upon enrolment, you will receive a one-time enrolment discount that will be applicable until your first Collection Period is completed.
At the end of your first Collection Period
Your enrolment discount will cease to apply and if eligible, it may be replaced by your my Drive based on your Driving Data collected during your first Collection Period.
For the remainder of your enrolment in the Program
Your my Drive will be updated based on your Driving Data collected during the last 180 days at each of the following events (“Discount Update Events”):
- Following the completion of a full Collection Period since your latest my Drive update has taken effect; and
- When we commence our renewal notification process (in which case, your updated my Drive will only be effective as of your renewal date).
Example of Discount Update Events
After enrolment into the Program on a new automobile insurance policy, your premium may change approximately 180 days after your first tagged trip and then again effective your renewal date. For subsequent renewals, your premium will be updated at approximately 180 days into your policy term and then again effective on your next renewal date.
Effect on premium
Following each Discount Update Event, your automobile insurance premium may be:
- Increased – if your my Drive is decreased or ceases to apply;
- Decreased – if your my Drive is increased; or
- Unchanged – if your previously earned my Drive does not change.
Whenever your automobile insurance premium is updated, you or the policyholder will receive a corresponding Certificate of Automobile Insurance including Your Automobile Billing Statement indicating any adjustment in premium:
- If the premium has already been paid in full: a refund will be issued if the premium has decreased, or an additional amount will be due if the premium has increased;
- If the premium is paid monthly, or by another payment method: the payment schedule will be adjusted accordingly to reflect increased or decreased payments, as the case may be.
Upon renewal, your premium may increase or decrease based on factors other than a change in your my Drive.
Unsatisfactory Collection Period
If the Application has not been able to tag you as the driver for at least 1,000 km during your last Collection Period, your my Drive will cease to apply until the next Discount Update Event following a full corresponding Collection Period (meeting minimum kilometres requirements) is recorded by the Application.
5. How will my discount be applied?
Your my Drive will be applied to the following coverages only (where applicable) for the eligible vehicles on the automobile insurance policy for which you are identified as a principal driver:
- Liability – Bodily Injury;
- Property Damage;
- Direct Compensation - Property Damage;
- Accident Benefits (Standard Benefits);
- Uninsured Automobile;
- Collision or Upset;
- All Perils;
- Specified Perils;
6. How do I use the Application?
Your smartphone’s location services (GPS) must be turned on at all times, and you must give the Application permission to access other required data (e.g., accelerometer and gyroscope), to allow collection of Collected Data.
Once the Application is installed and activated, it will detect certain movements, record trips and tag them automatically.
Only trips where you were driving a private passenger vehicle should be used to determine your my Drive. If a trip was incorrectly tagged by the Application, you will be responsible for correcting its tagging within thirty (30) days of the applicable trip.
Information relating to each trip, including your Application Events as well as your currently projected my Drive, is available in the Application.
7. When should I use the Application and can I use it while driving another vehicle?
The Application must remain activated on the smartphone of each principal driver enrolled in the Program.
Each time you drive a private passenger vehicle, whether or not it is enrolled in the Program, you must have your smartphone with the installed, activated and functional Application in your possession.
Should you or the policyholder wish to make any changes to the automobile insurance policy regarding the enrolled vehicle or principal driver, you must first contact your broker. Failure to do so may lead to an extension of any Collection Period and/or removal from the Program.
8. Can multiple drivers be enrolled?
Each principal driver listed on the automobile insurance policy may be enrolled in the Program as long as they comply with all eligibility requirements. The enrolment discount or my Drive may be applied to each eligible vehicle that the enrolled principal driver is assigned to as principal driver on the automobile insurance policy. Only one Application will be issued to an enrolled principal driver.
9. Will I be able to track my driving behaviour?
The Application will allow you to track trips and your Application Events. You can review these in the Application for 30 days.
You will also be able to view the potential my Drive that you may be eligible for at your next update. The policyholder will get a monthly report outlining the trending my Drive for each driver enrolled in the Program.
Please note that you may not be able to track Application Events when you are using the Application in certain regions where cellular coverage required by the Application to transmit Collected Data relating to your driving behaviour is non-existent or insufficient.
10. What happens if the Application is not activated?
You could be removed from the Program and any discount received will cease to apply if you fail to activate the Application within fifteen (15) days of the effective date of your enrolment into the Program or within fifteen (15) days of the date we send the text message (SMS) to you confirming your enrolment in the Program, whichever is later. Re-enrolment in the Program following your removal, and the ability to again receive the enrolment discount if re-enrolled, will be at Intact Insurance’s discretion.
11. What happens if the Application is deleted or does not collect and transfer Collected Data?
The Application runs in the background on your smartphone, detecting your trips and gathering your Collected Data. The Application must remain activated and functional at all times except in the event of extenuating circumstances (e.g., failure of the smartphone or unavailability of the mobile network) or unless directed by Intact Insurance. See the “Does the Application affect the battery life of my smartphone?” section below. If the Application is deleted, it will stop gathering Collected Data.
We reserve the right at our sole discretion to terminate your participation in the Program should we not be able to capture an accurate assessment of your driving behaviour (including if you fail to meet the minimum required number of kilometres driven during two or more consecutive Collection Periods), if we deem there to be any misuse of the Application, if no trip is recorded by the Application for more than thirty (30) consecutive days, if you reside or if the vehicle is used in certain regions where cellular coverage is non-existent or insufficient.
If we are unable to obtain an accurate assessment of driving behaviours (for example, due to failure to tag trips in which you were the driver, the inability of your smartphone to collect and transfer the Collected Data used for the Program, the lack of cellular coverage and/or network in the area where you live or use your vehicle, the deletion of the Application or any misuse of the Application), a notification will be sent to you advising you of such, and providing you with fifteen (15) days to remedy any breach of the Terms.
If you fail to remedy any such breach within the allowed timeline, you could be removed from the Program and any discount received will cease to apply. Re-enrolment in the Program following your removal, and the ability to again receive the enrolment discount if re-enrolled, will be at Intact Insurance’s discretion.
In case of malfunction of the Application or pursuant to our request, you may be required to uninstall the Application from your smartphone. As a result, reinstallation and/or activation of the Application on your smartphone may be required to continue with any ongoing Collection Period.
12. What happens if my enrolment in the Program is terminated?
Should you decide to opt out of the Program, or if your participation is terminated, the Application will stop gathering Collected Data as of your effective date of un-enrolment (or as of the date the Application is deleted if it was done prior to your effective date of un-enrolment) and you will no longer be eligible to receive either an enrolment discount or any earned my Drive. Your premium will be adjusted accordingly, effective as of the date of termination of your participation.
13. Can I use or transfer the Application to another smartphone?
Yes. To do so, you must sign out of the Application on your smartphone, download the Application onto your new smartphone and log into the Application.
14. Does the Application affect the battery life of my smartphone?
Use of the Application may affect your battery life. You must ensure that the smartphone is charged and functional when the vehicle is being driven so that the Collected Data may be recorded.
15. Will I be charged by my mobile service provider for use of the Application?
The Application is free and can be downloaded via Wi-Fi or cellular data. However, unless you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, downloading the Application and the Application itself will use your cellular data to transfer Collected Data to Intact Insurance. You are responsible for assuming all roaming fees, data fees (including overage), plan fees and any other fees your mobile service provider may charge you as a result of your download and use of the Application.
16. What about my privacy?
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will handle your Personal Information in accordance with our Privacy Promise. However, when you participate in the Program, you will have to share additional information about your driving behaviour with Intact Insurance. These Terms describe in detail how we collect, use and disclose the Personal Information we collect under the Program.
The information handling practices described in these Terms supplement those described in our Privacy Promise.
17. What Personal Information is collected?
To participate in the Program, you will have to provide additional contact information including your mobile phone number and email address, which will become part of your insurance file with us, and will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Promise. In these Terms, by “Personal Information”, we mean the information in your file such as your name, phone number and policy number, and additionally your my Drive, your Application Events, and your Collected Data.
You will also have to install the Application so it can continuously collect information about your driving behaviour, and transfer this information to Intact Insurance.
The information collected and transferred by the Application includes:
- information we get directly from your smartphone’s instrumentation: such as global positioning system (GPS) time and location data, accelerometer data, gyroscope data, location services on/off data, screen on/off data, magnetometer data, barometer data and other smartphone or instrumentation data;
- information you enter directly about detected trips in the Application such as whether you were driving, the Application determines the mode of transit (e.g., automobile or public transit) you were taking and other trending information on your trips; and
- technical information about your smartphone’s hardware or software such as: smartphone make and model, operating system version, software version, and other technical information relating to your smartphone.
(Collectively the "Collected Data")
18. How is my Personal Information used?
The Collected Data (alone and in combination with third party data such as road map software to contextualize the data) will be used to enable Intact Insurance to design, operate, enhance, and administer the Program by:
- Determining the driving events we use or may use in the future for the purpose of calculating your my Drive discount.
- Improving our understanding of your driving behaviour and activities such as for example where you drive, what times of the day you drive, how much you drive, what type of roads you drive on, what type of weather you drive in, and other data collected about specific trips in order to more effectively:
- review and update your rating criteria (e.g., location principally garaged, distance driven annually, usage type (pleasure/commute/business), etc.);
- detect, investigate, process, assess (e.g., fault determination) and settle insurance claims;
- detect, prevent and suppress fraud (e.g., disclosing, pooling or analyzing Collected Data and other data in cooperation with fraud prevention organizations); and
- use for research and development purposes, as well as sharing anonymized data with academic institutions for research purposes.
However, please note that the Collected Data will only be used, collected and shared as permitted by, and strictly in accordance with, applicable laws.
The Collected Data will not be used to:
- decline a risk;
- cancel your automobile insurance policy;
- refuse to renew your automobile insurance policy; or
- surcharge your premium (beyond removal or adjustment of any discount received through the Program).
However, please note that:
- There are rating criteria other than the Collected Data that may result in adjustment of your rate and cancellation or non-renewal of your automobile insurance policy in accordance with our underwriting rules, including but not limited to accidents and traffic tickets; and
- Any my Drive adjustment occurring during your automobile insurance policy term will only be done in light of the corresponding Driving Data as described in the “Will I receive a discount for using the Application?” section above.
19. How can I access/correct my tagged trips?
The Application will allow you to tag detected trips with information such as whether you were the driver or passenger (e.g., passenger in an automobile or public transit). For your convenience, the Application may also auto-tag detected trips based on an understanding of your past driving behaviour. The Application will allow you to review or correct these auto-tagged trips or certain Application Events within those auto-tagged trips within thirty (30) days.
20. How is my Personal Information disclosed?
We work with service providers who provide the technology, systems, and services necessary to administer the Program. As a result, your Personal Information may be transferred by us or directly by the Application to these service providers who provide data processing, storage and related services on behalf of Intact Insurance. Rest assured, we require these service providers to protect and handle your Personal Information in a manner consistent with our own practices as well as the law.
We will not otherwise disclose your Personal Information specific to the Program to third parties, except as reasonably necessary to design, operate, enhance and administer the Program or as permitted by law, unless we have your consent.
Please note that we may anonymize, aggregate, or otherwise render the Collected Data non-identifiable as permitted by law, in which case these Terms or our Privacy Promise will no longer apply to it.
21. Where is my Personal Information stored?
To administer the Program, we may transfer your Personal Information to our service providers who provide data processing, storage and related services. These service providers will only store your information in Canada.
22. How long is my data stored?
Your Personal Information will be retained until it is no longer relevant for the purposes of the Program or our general insurance information retention policies, after which it will be deleted or anonymized. We will always collect, retain, use, and delete your Personal Information in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
23. What if I am not the policyholder?
Only your Collected Data will be collected, used, and disclosed by the Application for the purposes of the Program. If you are not the policyholder, you acknowledge some of your Collected Data will be accessible to the policyholder as a result of your shared participation in the Program.
24. Who do I contact if I have questions about my privacy?
If you have any questions about your privacy or would like more information, please contact our Privacy Office at:
Any other questions?
If you have any questions about the Program, or any technical questions about downloading or activating the Application or its functionalities, please contact your broker, or visit us at https://www.intact.ca/nb/en/personal-insurance/vehicle/car/my-drive.html for more information. For any questions, you can contact us at 1 855 250-4743.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
The Application is made available "as-is", "with all faults" and "as available" and it is used at your risk. Intact Insurance makes no warranties or guarantees of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. Intact Insurance does not warrant that the Application and its operation and any data collected will be uninterrupted or error or defect-free, that any errors or defects in the Application will be corrected, that data will not be lost or damaged, or that the Application or server(s) that make it available are free from viruses, disabling code or other contaminants.
If you no longer wish to participate in Weather Alerts, you may withdraw at any time through the app.
What is the Severe Weather Alerts Feature?
As the weather is difficult to predict, Intact wants to help you prepare and take the necessary precautions to protect what matters to you. We operate this feature with our partner, ClimaCell. Once you successfully set-up Weather Alerts within the app, you will receive push notifications when a specific address or Geolocation you choose to have monitored (a “Registered Address”) is under advisory. Weather Alerts will begin sending alerts as early as the date of activation and will stop when you withdraw.
Things to note
- Alerts will be based on the Registered Address(es) or Geolocation you enter in the app settings.
- Alerts will be sent when the ClimaCell company detects severe weather within approximately 3 km of your Registered Address(es) or current location, if location services are activated.
- Alerts may be sent up to 5 hours before severe weather reaches your Registered Address(es) or current location.
- Data charges may apply.
Information needed to operate the weather alerts.
To run Weather Alerts, we require you to provide certain information through the app. Some of this information may include personal information as defined by Canada’s federal and provincial privacy laws. This information will be used to operate and administer Weather Alerts and to develop, enhance, improve, and manage the products and services we provide.
Personal information required
- Name: To identify you for the purposes of operating and administering Weather Alerts.
- Registered Address(es) or Geolocation: To determine the locations for which you will receive alerts.
- Responses to alert ratings: To evaluate and measure the effectiveness of Weather Alerts, and to improve, market, and develop Weather Alerts and other products and services we provide.
Choice of Laws & Venue. These Terms shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein, despite any conflict of laws principles. You expressly consent to the exclusive forum, jurisdiction and venue of the courts of Ontario and/or the Federal Court of Canada in Ontario regarding all actions or other disputes relating to Weather Alerts and these Terms.
To participate in Weather Alerts, you're required to provide information about yourself. By submitting this information, you accept responsibility for its accuracy, appropriateness and legality for use in Weather Alerts. It may be distributed to ClimaCell to provide severe weather alerts.
This feature and all alerts are provided to you “as-is”, “with all faults” and are used at your risk. Intact makes no warranties or guarantees of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. Intact does not warrant that this feature or any severe weather alerts you may receive will be accurate, error-free or defect-free or that any inaccuracies, errors or defects will be corrected.
Severability & Survival
If any provision of these Terms or the Privacy Promise is determined to be void, invalid, or otherwise unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remaining provisions of these Terms and the Privacy Promise will remain in force.
No liability for Actions or Omissions
You understand and acknowledge that this feature and any severe weather alerts are for informational purposes only. ClimaCell and Intact shall not be liable for your reliance on the alerts, participation in Weather Alerts, or your actions or omissions taken due to the receipt, or non-receipt, of an alert.
These Terms and the Privacy Promise form the whole agreement between you and Intact concerning Weather Alerts.
WEATHER ALERTS AND THESE TERMS DO NOT ADD, LIMIT, REMOVE, OR MODIFY COVERAGES ON YOUR AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE POLICY IN ANY WAY. ALL TERMS, LIMITS, CONDITIONS, EXCLUSIONS, DEFINITIONS AND PROVISIONS OF YOUR AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE POLICY CONTINUE TO APPLY AND HAVE FULL FORCE AND EFFECT.