Car Insurance in Alberta
Are you driving through the streets of Edmonton? Maybe you take vacation trips to Jasper or Banff? Wherever you go in Alberta, we have your back with tailored and competitive auto insurance coverage. Plus, we even make it easy to get a car insurance quote online.
- Why you should get car insurance coverage in Alberta
In Alberta, it is mandatory to have car insurance liability coverage if you own and drive a vehicle. Repairing damage can be very expensive to pay out of pocket in Alberta, so with the right car insurance policy, you can save on the cost of repairing damages. You could also get coverage for some of the amounts you will pay relative to injuries that were incurred in a road incident. Accidents can happen to the best drivers, so having that extra peace of mind with the right car insurance will go a long way.
- Ways to save on car insurance coverage in Alberta
Every Albertan car owner must have car insurance. Know that there are plenty of ways to save money on your insurance coverage while getting the coverage you require, to enjoy peace of mind at the best price. Here are some tips:
- Combine your home and car insurance policies to save
- Enroll in my Drive™ to save up to 25% on your car insurance premium
- Own an electric or hybrid vehicle
- Reduce your insurance cost by owning a vehicle that is less expensive to insure
- Remain a safe driver and limit driving violations: one of the ways to lower your vehicle insurance premium is to put safety first and follow the rules
Discover more coverage
Our car insurance in Alberta can come with Collision or Upset Coverage which may protect you in the event of a collision with other vehicles or other road objects, like guardrails or lamp posts, as well as third party liability coverage. In addition to the mandatory coverage, coverage against specified perils, covering repair damages from situations like fire and theft. Lastly specified perils coverage protects your car specific threats like theft, natural disasters, rioting or civil unrest. In addition to the mandatory coverage, coverage against specified perils, covering repair damages from situations like fire and theft. Specified Perils Coverage protects your car against specific threats like theft, natural disasters, rioting or civil unrest.
Alberta does not allow temporary car insurance. You can apply for a special in-transit permit which lets you use your current licence plate and registration for two weeks, but Alberta car insurance is not included. The shortest duration for a car insurance policy you can get in Alberta is six months.
A classic car insurance policy can be provided to Albertan drivers through our my Collector program. If you own an Antique vehicle (20 years or older not modified in any way from manufacturer's original specifications), or a Classic Vehicle (between 15 and 19 years old and not modified in any way from manufacturer's original specifications), you could be eligible for my Collector vehicle coverage. If you have any questions about classic or Antique car insurance, don’t hesitate to reach out to your broker.
The cost of car insurance in Alberta is based on a variety of factors that affect your car insurance premium. These factors can be:
- The type of car you drive
- Where you live and work in Alberta
- The number of years you’ve been driving
- How frequently do you drive
- Driving lessons you’ve taken
- Your driving habits
- The type of protection you require
- The amount of deductible you pay
If you have any questions about your car insurance premium in Alberta, don’t hesitate to reach out to your broker.
If you have a valid driver's license and the owner of the car gives you permission to use their vehicle, most car insurance policies will provide coverage under the driver’s car insurance policy. If you have any questions about coverage for driving someone else’s car, don’t hesitate to reach out to your insurance broker.
Based on the amount of protection you want from your auto insurance; you may pick from a variety of coverage options regardless of the type of vehicle you are going to insure:
- You could be protected by Collision and Upset Coverage against the expense of repairing damage to your car that results from collisions with other cars or obstacles like guardrails.
- Comprehensive coverage may provide coverage against perils other than Collision and Upset and protects you against the cost of repairing damage to your car caused by unforeseen events like arson, robbery, graffiti, or natural catastrophes.
Only particular risks, like theft, natural catastrophes, rioting, or civil unrest are covered by Special Perils Coverage.
Didn’t find what you were looking for?
Access your insurance anytime, anywhere
Get a car insurance quote in Alberta
Have the right protection when tackling the twists and turns of the highway. Find the best auto insurance policy for your needs, starting with getting an auto insurance quote. Getting an auto insurance quote is the first step to protecting your vehicle.